Tuesday, November 18, 2014

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
In class when we first discussed the movie "The Big Sleep" we learned how the film was different from other movies. "The Big Sleep" is a type of movie named film noir, which simply means black film. This is important regarding the film because it exemplifies the ideas behind film noir. In this genre the lead tends to be a male who lacks or has a very misleading moral compass


2) Find a related article (on the film, director, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, etc.)

and summarize the content. You may use the library or the internet.
The article, which I found, is a dedication to Boggie and the recently departed Lauren Bacall. The couple had starred in 4 films together, in this span, one of them being "The Big Sleep". The purpose of the article is not about this, however, it relates to the films genre. Movie critics have debated over the authenticity of "The Big Sleep" being a film noir. The idea of film noir is to show weakness and though Boggie does this in his own way, the tarnished knight rescuing the damsel in distress, it is not really a film noir.
http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2014/09

Cite the article or copy the url to your journal entry. Summarize in your own words the

related article but do not plagiarize any content.
http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2014/09/bogie-and-bacall-the-big-sleep-1946-jake-hinkson

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. How did the article support or

change the way you thought about the film, director, content, etc.?
Being it a debate the authenticity of the film's genre is up for scrutinization. It does have some aspects of a film noir but on the other hand it lacks. Reading and going over everything I believe the film is a film noir.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as

a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article. I am less

interested in whether you liked or disliked a film, (although that can be part of this) than I

am in your understanding of its place in film history or the contributions of the director.

The film itself was a well thought up movie with many plot twists and turns just as a detective movie should have. Of course the pairing of Boggie and Bacall is an electric duo that make the characters pop even more than if the characters were portrayed by other actors. Regarding the film's status as a film noir has little concern in this screen report because it is still a decent movie.


Plagiarism Statement: Attach this to the end of every journal assignment.



ECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 1) (x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any

other class. 2) (x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other

classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 3) (x ) If I used any passages word for word, I

put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 4) ( x

) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in

the text of the paper. 5) (x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally

read. 6) (x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in

another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 7) ( x) I did not

so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 8) (x ) I

checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and

ideas used in my paper.

Name: __________Alex Lukasiuk____________________________ Date: __________11/19/14________

No comments:

Post a Comment